Monday, October 6, 2008

Returning to Virtue

I loved Sister Elaine Dalton's talk in Conference on Sunday. She spoke about "Returning to Virtue." She spoke of being "Poisoned by Degrees" and becoming slowly desensitized to the evil things of the world. She says that we slowly begin to tolerate, then accept, and then embrace the evil things of the world through false role models and persuasive media and we are slowly losing our divine identity in all of the worldly influences. She talks about the need for strict training to return to virtue and live a righteous life and prepare to attend the temple and be worthy of a temple recommend. I have often lamented the fact that it is now okay to curse in public and in front of young children. It is okay to be promiscuous, and it is okay to ignore God and the Savior in favor of something easier and more worldly. I made a decision after hearing her speak, and we will be "Returning to Virtue" in our house. I am making a concerted effort to make good new habits and get rid of bad habits. I am going to try to be better at church and temple attendance and be better at regularly reading my scriptures. I am going to pay my tithing when I get paid, not forget about the check I wrote out two weeks ago and finally give it to the Bishop. I am putting myself through "Strict Training" and I am going to do better. I don't want my daughter to think the habits I have now are okay. I want her to have good habits and she won't unless I do. I remember when swearing on TV and sex being frankly discussed in graphic detail were taboo. They are normal now. But, not in my house anymore. My sister-in-law, Tammy, made a comment to me that the Sacrament is the most important part of Sunday and that staying home because you are too tired is not a good enough excuse. She is right. And as of right now, I am trying to be less lazy and more committed. Join me, won't you, in Returning to Vitue?

Listen to her talk here: http://www.lds.org/conference/sessions/display/0,5239,23-1-947,00.html

1 comment:

Amy said...

I loved her talk too. With my girls getting older and turning into "tweens"; talking on the phone, emails, im"ing", etc. it is scary all the influences out there... That's why home has to a "heaven on earth". Thanks for the challenge of returning to virtue...